Family Mediation Lawyer in Escondido
Alternative Dispute Resolution in San Diego County
While many people associate family law issues—particularly divorce—with long, drawn-out courtroom battles (and, this is certainly the case in some situations), not every case needs to be decided in family court. In fact, alternative dispute resolution can be a highly effective and far less stressful method of reaching mutually beneficial resolutions.
If you and your spouse are able to agree on every aspect of your divorce, from child custody to spousal support, divorce mediation may be an ideal solution. Our Escondido mediation lawyer can help you understand your options and help you navigate the mediation process.
The Benefits of Divorce Mediation
As previously stated, mediation offers an ideal alternative to family court proceedings—if the involved parties can successfully reach agreements on every aspect of their situation. Mediation will likely require some compromise from both sides but, when it is successful, it can provide nearly immeasurable benefits for both parties.
Some of the benefits of mediation include:
- You and the other person are able to reach decisions based on what you both think is best for your family, not what an impartial judge decides
- Mediation can allow you to create personalized child custody arrangements and child support agreements (with limitations) based on your unique situation
- Unlike family court proceedings, the process of mediation is confidential; everything discussed during mediation will be kept private
- It can make the family law process faster, allowing you and the other party to reach a resolution in less time than if you were to go to court
- Because it is often faster, mediation can ultimately save you money—not to mention the stress and time involved in a courtroom battle
- Mediation allows you and the other involved party to decide, together, what the future of your relationship and your family will look like
In most cases, you will work with your lawyer, as well as a trained mediator and possible third parties, during the mediation process. Your attorney will communicate your wishes and needs to the opposing side, all while working to protect your best interests.
Do I Need a Lawyer for Divorce Mediation?
Divorce mediation is directed by a trained mediator rather than a traditional attorney. While you do not need the representation of a lawyer for divorce mediation, you can still consult one before you enter into mediation to ensure that you choose the best divorce mediator for you and so that you understand what to expect in divorce mediation.
Is Your Divorce Uncontested?
If you believe that you and your spouse will be able to reach an uncontested divorce agreement, we encourage you to look into mediation. Remember, this is a completely voluntary process. If at any point you wish to stop mediation or if you and your spouse cannot come to an agreement on some aspect of your divorce, you may withdraw from mediation. At that point, your case will proceed to family court.
Heidi D. Collier, APLC can assist you throughout the entire process. We offer compassionate counsel and personalized legal services that take into account your unique situation. Ms. Collier has been serving clients throughout San Diego County for more than 23 years; she is prepared to put her experience, resources, and skill on your side.
Call us at (760) 993-3770 to get started with an initial consultation. We have helped countless clients in Rancho Bernardo, 4S Ranch, Rancho Peñasquitos, Poway, La Jolla, and beyond.