Experience Is Everything Putting Nearly Three Decades of Legal Experience Toward Your Family's Goals

Child Support Attorney in Escondido

Protecting Your Rights & Your Child’s Best Interests

Child support paymentIn California, every parent is presumed to have a financial duty to care for his/her child/children. When two parents divorce, separate, or are otherwise not together, the non-custodial parent (or the one who spend less actual time with the child) will typically be required to provide child support payments to the custodial parent, as it is assumed that the custodial parent is paying and providing for the child.

Child support payments are based on a set of guidelines set forth by the state. While it may be possible to come to a somewhat different agreement through mediation, the court will look to the child support guidelines when making a ruling.

If you need assistance with child support, Board Certified Family Law Specialist with the California Board of Legal Specialization Heidi D. Collier, APLC can help. Contact our Escondido child support lawyer at (760) 993-3770 for a consultation. Our office supports clients in Escondido, Rancho Bernardo, 4S Ranch, Rancho Peñasquitos, Poway, Carmel Valley, La Jolla, and Santaluz.

What to Do If the Other Parent of Your Child Won’t Pay Child Support

If the other parent of your child has been ordered by the court to make child support payments, but he or she is not making those payments, you can initiate what is known as an “enforcement order.” To do so, you may need to file a Motion for Contempt. While contempt of court actions are one avenue some lawyers use to try to force payment of delinquent child and/or spousal support orders, Ms. Collier can advise you on other, more effective and less costly ways to enforce past due support orders. Many clients, for example, do not understand that if party support files a contempt action, the non-paying parent is often appointed a free attorney.

Further, even winning a contempt of court action does not guarantee that the order will be paid. This is because the statutory penalties for contempt of a support order are actually NOT payment of the past due support. Ms. Collier will advise and assist you on the many other legal options available to help you enforce your support order before considering filing a contempt action as a last resort.

The penalties for failing to pay child support are severe and may include:

  • Lowered credit score
  • Property liens
  • Frozen bank accounts
  • Loss of professional licenses
  • Wage garnishment
  • Criminal penalties

For those parents who find themselves behind in paying support, and as a result incurring compound interest at the legal rate of 10% per year, Ms. Collier can assist in resolving those issues. The goal is always to ensure appropriate support orders are paid to the custodial parent.

Can Child Support Payments Be Changed?

Child support payments can be changed through a process known as post-judgment modification. This can be helpful for one or both parents when their circumstances have changed significantly.

When determining if a child support order should be adjusted, California courts will look at the following factors:

  • Has the income of the paying or receiving parent changed?
  • Did either parent lose their job?
  • Does one parent have a child/children from another marriage/relationship?
  • Did the child’s needs (schooling, healthcare costs, etc.) change significantly?
  • Have there been considerable changes in the amount of time the child spends with each parent?
  • Was one parent arrested and/or incarcerated?

The court will also likely look at whether or not any factors that are typically used to calculate child support payments have changed and, if so, how significant those changes are.

Contact Heidi D. Collier, APLC for Representation throughout San Diego County

At Heidi D. Collier, APLC, we understand the immense stress that often accompanies child support issues. Whether you need help navigating the process for the first time, wish to request modifications to your child support order, or need assistance enforcing an order, our Escondido child support attorney can help.

Ms. Collier offers caring, dedicated, and personalized legal representation for her clients. She will take the time to get to know you and learn about your unique situation. In every case, our firm strives to protect the best interests of our clients and their children. We serve all of San Diego County and the surrounding areas, from downtown to Fallbrook to Oceanside and beyond.

Schedule a confidential case evaluation with Board Certified Family Law Specialist Ms. Collier today; call (760) 993-3770 or contact us online.

Meet Our Attorney

FirstHand Experience to Help Navigate Your Case
  • Heidi D. Collier Photo
    Heidi D. Collier
    Attorney and Board Certified Family Law Specialist with the California Board of Legal Specialization Heidi Collier is a San Diego native. She graduated with her bachelor’s degree from the University of California San Diego in 1993 and earned her law degree from the University of San Diego in 1996. For over 23 years, Ms. Collier has dedicated her legal practice to the field of family law. She is committed to quality customer service and meeting her clients’ needs. She always adheres to the ...

What Sets Our Firm Apart?

  • Responsive

    During non-business hours, we have an answering service that relays all messages to Attorney Collier and her staff.

  • Prepared

    Our approach is different in that we focus on ensuring that our clients are fully prepared and leave our office with all of their questions answered.

  • Individualized

    Every case is different; we dedicate the time to tailor and personalize your case specifically to your goals.

  • Experience

    Our Attorney has nearly three decades of experience working towards your family's goals.

Take the First Step

We'll Guide You Through the Rest
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.